Tuesday, April 08, 2008

A Lesson in Contentment

I lead a women's Bible study on Tuesday mornings, and today was the last day in our series on contentment. I am constantly amazed at how God continues to shape, mold, and teach me as I go. I have been leading this Bible study for six weeks (although I was gone a few for vacation) and just today realized what a gift I was given in terms of contentment.

Nate and I have been struggling with the issue of me going back to work for a while. To be frank, in order for us to make it financially out here, I need to work. I wish it weren't that way, I wish that every time I turn around a utility bill wasn't going up or that a gallon of gas wasn't getting closer to $4 a gallon every day. (We are currently at $3.79.) But we were told that before we even came here. We knew that most women worked and we knew that our decision for me to stay home with the girls wouldn't last forever and that we'd be tight for that time. But now it's time for me to jump back into teaching and there has been much to think about.

For weeks, I obsessed about what I should do. Should I teach full time at a public school and put my kids in daycare all day? Should I work at a Christian school where both girls could be in school/daycare on the same campus as me? Should I look for something part-time?

I almost immediately threw out the idea of working at a public school (although I could have made good money there) because I couldn't bear the thought of getting up super early to hand my kids over to another woman to raise (at least Abby). I just couldn't do it. There are women that are completely comfortable with full time daycare and I respect their decision, but for me personally, I just couldn't see myself doing that. Not with Abby being too young to even be in preschool.

I contacted all the Christian schools in the area, and not one had an opening for a middle school language arts teacher. I then gave up and told God that if he wanted me to work, he would have to figure this all out. Then I saw a job posting for the adult school. Long story short--it looks like I will be teaching a Monday-Saturday GED test preparation class in the morning from 9-12. Perfect. I can do part-time. Jenna can be in morning preschool and Abby can go to a babysitter for four mornings a week. Nate is home on Friday and Saturdays and can be with the girls then.

As I have been obsessing over how I am going to contribute financially to our family, God has been working up a plan that meets all of our needs. As soon as I gave the situation to him and took myself out of it, a great situation came up. Now, if I had my choice, I would always be teaching 7th graders, but I am excited for the new teaching road ahead and know that if God made that path straight, than it must be a good one.

I am content.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wish I lived near you, Laura....could really use that bible study and some inspiration now and again. (Maybe you can do it via the internet!!! LOL)

Congrats on the job. I'm going to have to go back to work soon, too. Hopefully from home, though.