Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Beautiful on the Inside

In the past few months, Nate and I have started using new terminology with the girls--beautiful on the inside and beautiful on the outside. We really believe that it's important for the girls to know that we think they are beautiful both on the outside and on the inside.

Believe me, we see behavior that's beautiful on the inside AND behavior that's not so beautiful on the inside. But yesterday, we had one of those parent moments that just made us so appreciate the little girl God made Jenna to be.

We were at her open house at school last night and her teacher came right up to us and complimented us on how wonderful Jenna was and how much of a help she is in the classroom. Being a teacher, I know that it's easy to say these things to parents, especially at open house. But then she went on to tell us how Jenna has become such an important friend to a little girl in her class who has Down Syndrome. She described how Jenna helps tie her shoes, reads to her, and helps her with her artwork. She talked about how wonderful it has been to see Jenna develop a real friendship with this little girl and said, "at this age, you can't teach that."

Jenna's teacher was so right. I've always known that Jenna has a soft heart and an unusual compassion for people with physical disabilities, but at that moment, I just thought about how special God has made her. God has made her beautiful on the inside and this is just one manifestation of that beauty.

Am I proud of her? Yes. But I have to give God all the glory on this one. Her loving, compassionate heart could have only come from Him. Beautiful on the inside:)

No comments: