Thursday, December 10, 2009

A New York Blizzard

I had absolutely no idea that the snow was going to get this crazy today. I knew we were getting a bunch of snow Thursday, but had no idea that it would be a blizzard!

One of the things I loved as a kid was to wake up and turn the TV on to see if my school had a snow day. I would patiently watch the ticker at the bottom of the screen for the "M's" for Mt. Lebanon. If our district's name showed up, it was one of the best feelings in the world! No school, back to sleep, and a lazy day in front of the TV. I did the same thing today, switched on the TV and saw that school was cancelled for Jenna. I had that same excited feeling as I went back to sleep for two more hours.

As the day went on, however, I realized that parents probably aren't as excited about snow days as kids are. We were cooped up in the house because it was too windy to spend much time outside. So it was me and the girls cooped up all day. I did let them go out for about 20 minutes because they have been so excited for snow. Enjoy the pictures!



Yep, you see that right. The snow is up to Jenna's knees in the picture above.



This last picture has a story behind it. A pretty funny one, actually. Nate left the house this morning with no boots. I bought boots for the girls and for myself, but Nate didn't get around to buying his quite yet. I laughed at him as he left the house today with no boots and a blizzard outside! He decided to go to Kohl's to find some boots and got caught in horrible weather. It was dark by the time he left the store and had such a hard time seeing and driving that he parked the car in the church parking lot and walked home (which is about a two minute walk). So here's what he looked like when he walked in the door . . . covered in snow (apprently he fell down once . . ha ha), new boots, new clothes he bought in the Kohl's bag, and his computer bag covered in snow. So, so funny!
I'm thankful that he made it home safely. Going to Kohl's probably wasn't the smartest idea, but at least he has boots now!
We'll see what tomorrow has in store. When Nate walked home he said the snow was up to his knees--so a few feet of snow on the ground. We are supposed to get 6 to 9 more inches tonight. Welcome to Western New York:)

2 comments:

wondle said...

OH MY GOSH!! That's a whole-lotta snow!!!!!!!! Your husband looks like he was making snow angels all day..

Anonymous said...

Ted and I just shared a good laugh over the picture of Nate.