Monday, March 30, 2009

Reverse Psychology

***Disclaimer: My children are not perfect and I certainly make my share of parenting mistakes. This post is an example of both.

Nate and I tried a bit of reverse psychology on the girls tonight and think it might be working!

The problem: Potty words being used way too much.

Now, I'm thankful that our girls haven't ventured into the world of cuss words quite yet, but I am beginning to worry that my kids are using their potty words in front of other adults, say like their teachers or babysitters. I'm even afraid that they'll break out in the "Underwear Hula" at the children's message in front of the whole church. The "Underwear Hula" is not a potty word, per say, but a lovely dance that they made up when they are, of course, in their underwear. And please don't think that my kids run around naked all day, but they are always changing into some dress up outfit or changing their clothes a million times a day, which leaves a lot of room for the "Underwear Hula."

Back to the potty words . . . words like poo poo and booty butt are becoming, unfortunately, more and more common among the girls. It has gotten to the point where I have told them that for every time they use a potty word, they will have to go to bed ten minutes earlier. That worked for about ten seconds.

Smartie pants Abby came up with a way to get around that. All of the sudden, I heard in a high pitched voice, "booty butt, booty butt . . . . (and then in a hushed, scolding tone) Dee Dee (Abby's little bear), no no! You will have to go to bed ten minutes earlier if you say that again." And then she looks at us and smiles this devious little smile. I, of course, had to look away because I almost busted out laughing:)

This continued for a few days and it obviously wasn't working. Dee Dee was saying these potty words too many times and Abby didn't seem to care that if Dee Dee said those words that Abby would have to take her punishment.

So, I tried reverse psychology on them. I told them that saying booty butt and poo poo was okay and that tushy was a bad, bad word. I'm trying to trick them into not saying the potty words anymore and using a non-offensive word (which they think it offensive) instead. Every time we catch them saying tushy, we act like it's a big no no.

So far it seems to be working . . . we'll see if Dee Dee busts out with any real potty words in the next few days:)

3 comments:

Kara said...

Eric wants to know what Nate's teaching his kids. I think it's too funny and hope that it works for you.

Anonymous said...

Seth loves to say "bottom" and "underpants". He throws them into songs, right in the middle of a line. He then throws his head back and laughs like he has just said the world's funniest thing. This weekend my dad and Kathy were in town. Kathy bent over to pick something up and Seth yelled very loudly, "Noni, you have a really big bottom!" Then he fell to the floor laughing. I grabbed his arm and told him that we do not say anything about anyone's bottom because it's very private. He looked at me with a face that told me he was trying really hard not to laugh. He turned and apologized to Kathy but I know he didn't mean it.

Carrie said...

I'm glad girls do that, too. Our personal favorites are "poop" and "fart" and "stinkerbutt". Whatever. Anyway, they have to serve a time out in the bathroom, on the floor in front of the potty when they say words like that. If that stops working, they'll be cleaning the potties!