Wednesday, May 14, 2008

More on our Disneyland Adventure

As I was reading my blog post from yesterday on our trip to Disneyland, I was a tiny bit embarrassed. I am not the best writer in the world, but that last post was pathetic, and I apologize to you all. I really wanted to get a few pictures up and tell about our trip, but I ended up writing a fragmented account of our trip. If that were an English essay and I was grading it, I would have given myself a failing grade.

So here's, hopefully, a better account of our wonderful trip last week.

My parents came down before our trip and spent the weekend with us, which was so wonderful! We went to the Monterey Bay Aquarium and got ready for our travels. We left Monday and gave ourselves the whole day to travel. #1 We had a 6-7 hour car ride. #2 We have two children who can barely make it to Target without complaining and #3 All the adults in the car would definitely need a break from those who were 4 or under in the car. We were right. We left at 10 and got in at 7:30pm. We were smart to leave a whole day.

We have portable DVD players, but haven't used them in a long time--for several reasons. #1 We don't take long car trips anymore since we have to fly to see everyone we know. I don't let the kids watch tv in the car to go 20 minutes away. I had to entertain myself, so do they. #2, Jenna used to get car sick.

I can't say used to anymore, because by the time we got to Gilroy (20 minutes away), she was looking green after watching the DVD players in the car. No throwing up, but my hope of having the girls zoned out by the DVD player was dashed and I had to deal with their every need, complaint, and issue.

We stayed in the Residence Inn, which I am now in love with, but is still 2nd to the Hampton Inn. We booked a suite with two bedrooms and a living room and kitchen for the kids. My parents had one bedroom and we had another with the girls. It was perfect for Disneyland and our sanity. They put on a killer breakfast with kids' tables and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse on flat screen tvs all over the room. It was perfect.

Disneyland itself is definitely a magical place and we were so very happy to experience it with my parents. The girls were in awe every time they saw a character walk down the street, and even more so when we got to meet the princesses. They have these autograph books, where you can put a picture next to the page that the character signs. My mom got one for Jenna and her first signature was Cinderella's Fairy Godmother. After she finished signing her book, Jenna walked up to me, almost in tears, wondering why the Fairy Godmother had scribbled in her book:) I had to explain that she signed it. How cute. She soon got over it and understood the process.

We spent most of our time on the Merry Go Round and the Tea Cups. We also liked the little princess area, that I can't remember the name of right now. One time, we caught a story told by Sleeping Beauty and another time we caught a lesson by several of the princesses on how to dance like one. I do have some advice for anyone considering this as a vacation. Do not take your children on "Snow White's Scary Adventures" because you think the "Snow White" part will erase the "scary" part. Not true. Jenna refused to go on any more rides that were inside buildings like the Snow White ride was.

Jenna was also afraid of the pirates from the "Pirates of the Caribbean" ride. She was convinced that they were roaming the park after her. Luckily, they didn't find her:)

Abby had just as much fun as Jenna did! Here are her names for the princesses. I have to write this down so I remember it:

Snow White (her favorite)= Oh White
Cinderella = Cindayahyah
Sleeping Beauty = Seeping Booty (kind of funny!)
Jasmine = Gamine
Ariel = Yoyo

The ride home was torturous. I really was counting on the DVD players and that was out of the picture given the large possibility of Jenna puking. The girls were exhausted, as was I. They were never satisfied with any snack, activity, or answer when they asked every five minutes, "When are we going to be there?" At one point, Nate told me that I was being awful, so I had to straighten up a bit, but I strongly contend that driving the car is a way easier job than sitting in the back with children. Next time, I am going to stake my claim on driving if I can.

So, two days was enough for me, but a magical and wonderful experience that I'm so happy to have shared with my parents and our friends, the Gibsons. I'm also happy that we live close enough to visit again someday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In 2005 we drove from Houston to Southern Illinois for our high school reunion. We bought the portible DVD player for the 12 hour drive. About one hour into the trip Shelby threw up. I was so afraid that she would not be able to manage the rest of the trip. Fortunately after we got her cleaned up and changed she was fine from then on out. She was not quite two at the time and I brought about 15 DVD choices. She watched Sleeping Beauty the whole way there and back. When it would end she would say, "Sippy Dooty gin pease." Which, loosely translated meant, "Sleeping Beauty again please."
This summer we are making another long trip and I am really counting on the DVD player for the kids. We'll see.