Saturday, January 17, 2009

Jenna's 5th Birthday Party

There's a story behind this birthday party. Remember the 16 weeks of sitting on the steps at the YMCA swimming lessons? Shortly after we enrolled her at the awesome swim school that she now attends, I asked her what she wanted to do for her fifth birthday. (We have always had small parties at the house, but decided to let her have a bigger one this year for year 5). To my surprise, she asked for a swimming party. Given that 1) swimming has been a struggle for her and 2) her birthday is in January, I had to work hard to make this event happen.

I found a really cool indoor swimming facility that was perfect for little kids. It had a kids' play structure, a lazy river, and waterslides. So not only was today a really fun birthday party, but I was so pleased to know that she had fun swimming. This was probably the first time in a long time.

We had games and cake & ice cream before swimming. Nate was in charge of the games, which were, of course, all princess games. And he made the parents wear a princess crown if their kid won at Bingo or Musical Thrones. So fun! But after a while, the kids were itching to get to the pool, so off they went!

The only bad thing about this party is that almost all the parents had to swim:) We all had a great time, but you know . . . most of us post-children moms just LOVE to put our bathing suits on in front of other people:) I knew that this party would be work for the parents too, but they said yes and came and we all had a really great time.

Special thanks to our friend, Heather, who made Jenna's awesome cake and to our friend, Jen, who helped decorate and played with our kids:)



Nate leading birthday games in the Jasmine crown. So fitting!


Jenna and Jen decorating the party room:)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like a great party! So sad we couldn't be there.

A little about Amy said...

Laura-We did the cleanse. It's not bad at all really. I mean..you just go to the bathroom a lot:) But I've done several since I traveled outside of the country for a while. They help to just clean everything out. Most health stores carry them-You can get them as a simple colon cleanse, or lots of other options. (Heavy metals, liver etc.) It's not scary-promise!

Laurie said...

I think the party was awesome...and worth all the work the parents had to do. We had a GREAT time!!! And like you, we were excited to see our kids enjoy swimming.