I hope that the flu never wreaks havoc on our household again as it has in the past few weeks. It started with Nate. He looked deathly ill at church two Sundays ago. When he got home, he had a raging fever and spent the day in bed. He was quite the sight---all bundled up in his hooded sweatshirt (hood on) under a mountain of covers. He was freezing.
Over the course of the next five days, he would go from freezing to completely sweating through his clothes. His fevers were high and he had no energy. Going into the office was not even an option. If you know Nate, you know that he had to have been sick for him to stay away for so long. He didn't eat for most of the week, but did a good job at keeping fluids in him.
Then the cough started. It was a bad, bad cough and he started to feel tightening in his chest. After a visit to the doctor, it was determined that he had pneumonia. After a round of antibiotics, he's finally feeling better. Still pretty tired and a little pale, but better.
He had the full blown flu + pneumonia. Not a chest cold or a stomach virus. He had the kind of flu that could do a lot of harm to people. Probably the kind that makes doctors urge everyone to get flu shots.
Jenna, Abby, and I all got a piece of what Nate had. Jenna had an ear infection, Abby had a fever for two days, and I'm working on a minor cough, but I'm thankful that all four of us didn't have what Nate had. We would have had to fly my mom in to take care of all of us!
I have always been skeptical of flu shots, but not anymore. I will gladly have one every year if it lessens the chances of us getting what Nate had in the past two weeks!
2 comments:
my 2 cents: I've had the flu ONE TIME and that one time was enough for me. for eternity. I feel your pain.
I can definitely sympathize. I had the same thing in February of this year. Horrible when you live alone.
Be careful with the "flu shot" though, the virus you get has usually mutated quite a bit from what they injected with the shot. After the research I've done I still don't think it's worth the risk...I'll take my chances in getting sick.
Post a Comment