Thursday, September 18, 2008

"Stuff Issues"

A while back, I posted about how difficult it was for me to get rid of all the baby clothes that were sitting in bins in my garage. I am long over that and have found great freedom and joy in giving away those clothes to people who could use them. I also have discovered that "stuff" suffocates me. I've been getting rid of toys that aren't age appropriate for my kids as well as my own clothes and things that I no longer use or need. Very freeing.



I am having an issue with other "stuff." Namely video game "stuff." I am feeling this pressure to have the newest and best gaming systems. Please know, that we have not owned a gaming system since our seminary days when we had no kids. This past summer, we became proud owners of a PS3 as well as Guitar Hero. Nate plays that often--usually after I go to bed and that doesn't bother me.

What bothers me is the kids side of it. Everytime we go to a friends' house that has a Wii, Jenna asks for one. So, Nate and I have thrown around the idea of giving that to the girls for Christmas. But I don't know if I really want to do that. Do 2 1/2 and 4 1/2 year olds need a Wii? Do we want to start the slippery slope of wanting the newest gaming technologies out there? Do we want to start allowing our kids to play video games on a regular basis? My answer is no to all of that, but I don't know if I am being too restrictive.

Yes, my kids watch tv, and yes, Jenna loves to play on the Barbie website on the computer. But I am very aware of "screen" time and don't want to allow too much at any given time. And introducing video games makes me cringe a little.

Does anyone else have an opinion on this? I am open to all of them:)

2 comments:

wondle said...

I'm with you on the video games, computer and TV time. I turn all of the above off every chance I get. People [not even just kids] walk into my house and look around saying they can't believe that there's no TV on or radio for that matter. Sometimes the silence is fantastic, and sometimes it's deafening.
I'm not saying I'm a stick in the mud I just don't want to raise socially backward children. Children that don't run, jump, ride bikes or interact with other humans.
With that, my opinion on the Wii is go for it!!! C got one for his birthday the year they were the "hottest item" [I DID NOT BUY IT] however, this video game system encourages kids to get off their behinds and do something. Don't get me wrong, there are regular games that they have but, for the most part, my kids play tennis, soccer, dodgeball ect.
This is just my take on it.

Anonymous said...

We have also thought about buying TJ a Wii for Christmas. I'm not sure how I feel about him playing video games, but he does it already and he loves them. I guess I'd rather him play games that actually make him get up and do something rather than just sitting on the couch. I don't want my kids thinking they can have all of the latest and greatest things because even if we are financially able to provide them I don't want them thinking they can always have the newest and greatest things ont the market. Tony wants me to point out that he thinks Nate will also enjoy the Wii.